Sunday, March 23, 2014

Panorama Ridge, Sullivan Station, Boundary Park and more.

A little history of Newton.... 

Newton is currently one of Surrey’s six “town centres.” Its present boundaries are approximately Scott Road in the west, 160 Street in the east, 48 Avenue in the south, and 88 Avenue in the north. Newton now incorporates a few of Surrey’s heritage communities, such as Sullivan, Strawberry Hill, and Colebrook/Panorama Ridge. Newton was not always so big. It used to really only refer to the area around the present intersection of King George Highway and 72 Avenue.

Newton is named after settler E.J. Newton who, in 1886, settled at what is now 72 Avenue and 124 Street. A few other early settlers in the region, but further east, were the Johnstons and the Sullivans in the area that came to be known as Sullivan.
King & Farris Lumber Company office, c. 19201909, the King and Farris Lumber Company erected a large mill near Roebuck Road (132 Street) and Burke Road (76 Avenue), one of the first mills to be completely electrically operated. Logging took place mostly from 72 Avenue north to 88 Avenue in the Green Timbers area. It was here that King and Farris ran the largest standard gauge logging railway in Surrey, which connected to the new B.C. Electric Railway (BCER) in 1910. Surrey’s logging industry shut down around 1930 due to lack of timber.
The BCER stimulated Newton’s growth and helped to establish the corner of 72 Avenue and 136 Street (King George Highway) as a town centre. This was the location of the BCER Newton Stop. Newton School was built at this intersection (present day Petro Canada Gas Station) and opened in 1914. The opening of Lew Jack’s general store also helped to establish King George Highway and Newton Road (72 Avenue) as the community’s centre. This intersection continues as Newton’s core today.